Wednesday 13 June 2018

I suffer with nerves too!!!

Kerry at Parent Presentations, dry mouthed only now and again :)

Growing up you could say I was a confident child, however when it came to orals or presentations
a few physical reactions would happen. I would get dry mouthed and this made talking and presenting extremely difficult. I never presented with cue cards because my hands would shake uncontrollably and then I would be so worried about this that I would forget what I was presenting. Over the years I have had to manage these physical reactions and I can definitely say that experience has helped. I am a true believer of fighting and not' flighting' in these cisucumstances.

Two Fridays ago one of our newer students was battling through the rehearsal, his nerves were tangible and as I do I asked him in front of everyone...this is our conversation:

Kerry: "What could possibly go wrong?"
Student:"Lots!"
Kerry:"Such as ?"
Student: "I could fall in front of everyone"
Kerry: "Have you fallen once in rehearsal?"
Student: "No!" - His face starts to crack into a smile as he realizes his imagination is getting the best of him.
Kerry: "Do you think the parents will point and laugh if you fall?"
Student: "Yes!" at this point his imagination takes over again - I realize Im losing to his mind again.
Kerry: "No ways they will laugh, they are here to support not break you down"
Student: "What if I forget my lines?"
Kerry: "Then I will feed them to you, or you use you dramatic skill and improvise! Its really not that serious if theres errors guys, no one is dying so we are going to survive this"
The class cracks up laughing and we go on to have the funnest rehearsal we could have had.

I remember feeling so silly for getting nervous, teachers would never address the nerves or equip me. Thats why I love our teachers and curriculum, we talk it out and we equip our children to deal with their nerves.

I recently read such an interesting article In Today's Parent by Kate Winn. The author consulted several experts on performance anxiety and nerves in children.

One expert highlighted 3 factors that are at play when we get nervous:
1.) The natural temperament a person is born with.
2.) 30-40% of anxiety is genetic, so some kids will get anxious because its in them genetically.
3.) Learned behaviours and negative experience can play games with you.

I was thrilled to read these 3 factors because in my experience I have some very anxious students and some chilled ones. The first 2 factors we cannot assist with...however the 3rd factor is where the Helen O'Grady curriculum is so wonderful. Through positive experience and positive presentations and productions we are able to debunk learned behaviours of thinking public speaking is scary. We are able to give them positive experiences that will help them on their next performance.

Man I wish I had this Academy as a child!!!

(This Blog refers to Todays' Parents article by Kate Winn, 16 November, 2016.)
https://www.todaysparent.com/kids/kids-health/performance-anxiety-2/

No comments:

Post a Comment