Friday 16 June 2017

Why Teaching a Drama Class will change your life!

I started teaching Drama classes in 2005. I was starting my Honors year at UKZN and I needed a part time job that could pay for my social life (oh to be young again). I thought I wanted to act and become a "star"! Then I started teaching and my whole world changed :) the amount of passion, joy and energy teaching had sparked inside of me...I just felt like I was in the right place. Don't get me wrong, I love performing, but jeepers teaching for me is so much more fun!

Teaching drama gives me the best of both worlds...I get to feel the joy and pride of watching a student grow as an individual, but I dont need to spend hours and hours marking. Thats why Ive stuck around with this Academy for so long. There is something so beautiful in the activity of drama without having to be judged, or graded on it. Without that added pressure students are able to open their minds up to being more creative and not worry about the outcome; its the process thats more important than the product!

So if I can offer any advice to anyone whose just graduated with their Drama Degree...go and teach part time. It is a humbling experience and you will very quickly see if you're meant to be acting, or teaching acting :) its also just so darn fun!!!

I'm in my 12th year of teaching for the Helen O'Grady Drama Academy...and every day I get to feel that same joy and excitement I felt on Day 1; to me it's like that moment you walk onto stage full of readiness, only my audience is up close and personal and I can directly see the impact I make on their lives. I know that I can get other jobs, I know I could probably make more cash working a solid 8-5 job...but where's the fun in that. I've watched my students grow from teeny tiny self-conscious 7 year olds, to overly confident and determined 17 year olds. The privilege of watching them grow is priceless!!!

Its just as Maya Angelou says "When you get, give. When you learn, teach".

No comments:

Post a Comment